Sketching And Watercolour Classes
Alissa is a sketchbook journal artist who loves sketching everyday events, objects and travels in her life. She is also part of a global Urban Sketchers movement. Join Alissa at Dromkeen and learn to sketch with watercolour pencils to record your experience. Learn tips and techniques for travel sketching along the way.
‘Memories and Mulled Wine’ – Stories From The Macedon Ranges
“Stories possess a spark, a power: to comfort, connect, destroy, transform, and even to heal“ (Bobette Buster)
Everyone’s life is interesting once you scratch the surface. Are you a storyteller? Do you have a tale to share? Each month over winter, Dromkeen is hosting an open-mic evening for local residents from the Macedon Ranges to share their stories. Anyone with a five-minute story on the night’s theme can put their name in the hat. Come and tell your story or listen to others, whilst enjoying a cozy winter evening at the Dromkeen homestead.
When: Evening 1: 7.30pm, Friday 21st June
Theme: Second chance
When: Evening 2: 7.30pm, Friday 19th July
Theme: Lost and found
When: Evening 3: 7.30pm, Friday 16th August
Where: Dromkeen Homestead and Gallery, 1012 Kilmore Road, Riddells Creek
Cost: $17.00 Full price /$15 Concession
Includes an evening’s entertainment, tea/ coffee & a light supper.
Alcohol sales are available at intermission. Make sure you are seated 15 minutes before start time
Guidelines and tips for telling your story.
- Stories must be told (no cheat sheets or reading)
- Please remember your story, but not by rote
- Make yourself the main character- the story must belong to you
- Have a great opening line that starts in the action.
- Can you answer why the story is important to you, or how you were transformed?
- Be vulnerable in your storytelling- this helps your audience to connect with you
- Your story must have action and consequences
- Have a clear last line- take your audience on the journey and know your destination
- Stick to the theme and keep within the 5 minute limit
- No racism, stand-up comedy routines, homophobia, political agendas, misogyny or hate speech
- Have fun but use respect and civility at all times
Dromkeen- Author/ Illustrator in Residence Program 2019
With Award Winning Children’s Author/ Illustrator Mark Wilson
‘Self Publishing- So you want to publish your own book?’ (2.5 hours)
Date: Due to recent changes in self publishing in Australia, this session will be postponed until a later date.
Want to publish your own book and don’t know where to start? This workshop will provide you with some general background knowledge and guide you through some ‘do’s’ and ‘don’ts’ of self publishing. Topics such as ‘The importance of good editing, seeking advice, target audience, market research, budgets & finance, distribution, pre- production & printing (design, typesetting, copyright permissions & printing), barcodes, international standard book numbers, sales and marketing will be covered. Mark will draw on his own and others experiences of self-publishing and will provide the opportunity for questions and answers.
For all Bookings contact
Phone: 03 54286799
Dromkeen tours of the homestead are available by appointment for groups. The tour includes a short media presentation, a walk around the gardens and a tour of the Homestead. Special packages can include lunch or morning/afternoon tea with a tour. A minumum of 20 people is required.